Wednesday, November 12, 2008

When Fun Hobbies Go Bad

I started cake decorating when my oldest daughter turned one year old. I refused to buy a store-made cake from a bakery or grocery store. My children's cakes were going to be made with love from their very own mommy.

I had a lot of fun making their cakes and discovered I had a talent for it, despite never taking any classes. I learned from technique books, and trial and error. When my 2nd child was about one or two, I started doing cakes for other people to get some extra money.

I hate cake decorating now. I hate the smell of cake & icing. I cringe when people ask me to do cakes for them. How could something I enjoyed turn into something I abhor? Easy. I was good at it, but it was never a passion.

I still love making my kids' cakes, but after this one last cake I'm doing this week, I'm through doing cakes for other people. The back pain and time consumption just isn't worth it.

Lesson here? Yup. Don't turn a hobby into a job unless you have an absolute PASSION for it. You'll only end up hating it.

(By the way, there was supposed to be a nice little slideshow of my cakes on here, but this stupid blog isn't allowing any of my photobucket slideshows anymore, saying the "tag is not closed" whatever that means. Urrrgh!)

No comments: