Sunday, December 7, 2008

Holiday Tipping ???

So I saw this article on AOL about what to tip your mailman, paper carrier, etc. and thought, "Tip the mailman?"
Is this something you're supposed to do every year because I have never heard about it. Have I been a scrooge without knowing it? Am I the evil woman service workers talk about? "She didn't tip anything this year either, the cheap ass."
In my defense, I truly did not know.
But, then again, our mailman doesn't bring the mail until laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate and has given us our neighbors' mail before so could have very easily given our mail to neighbors before. I never got my son's teacher assignment his first year of school, though it was mailed by the school. Someone down the block probably got it.
So, really, I'm not feeling too bad about not tipping ( - ;

And I don't have a subscription to the paper so there's no need to tip a paper carrier. Is there anyone else I'm missing? Who all are you supposed to tip? Tell me so I'm not " the tightwad" !

4 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

The US tipping system is so complicated. I like our system in NZ much better. We don't really tip at all. It's so much easier!

SaturnMoonie said...

I didn't know about tipping the mailman either....when would you do it??? I don't sit by the door waiting for the mailman to deliver my mail...I'm either upstairs or not home at all. And my mailperson switches every couple of days I think. So what if I have a regular mailman, and then the day I decide to tip someone else gives me my mail? Do I tip them...do I say here's a tip for the other guy can you give it to him? :P

Crystal-Rain Love said...

Yeah, my mailman/woman/person changes too. So why tip if you don't know who's getting the money? I understand tipping servers at restaurants. Their horly wage is pathetic and you're tipping them for their servive to you specifically. Do you know how much mail carriers make??? Why tip someone who makes more money than you do? It just doesn't seem logical. If I'm wrong, let me know, but I just don't see the sense in it.

Crystal-Rain Love said...

I need to quit typing so fast. Typo-city ( - ;