Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How Much Would You Pay For A Paperback?

OK, so many of you know I'd blogged about self-publishing the first romance book I wrote, one that has been exceptionally challenging getting published due to some of the subject nature. I'd stumbled across Lulu.com and it looked as if I could publish it at the reader cost of about $6.99 which is not bad. Apparently, that price would be a book I'd print just for myself. What would actually be available for purchase by readers would be somewhere around the $13-$16 mark. Would anyone spend that much on my self-published book? Should I even bother?

3 comments:

Christle Gray said...

I think the cost would depend on the format of the book. A standard mass market paperback - I usually don't pay over $7.99. But one of those larger format trade paperbacks - I've spent up to $14.99 on. Those prices tend to be standard book store prices. I don't know how that compares to self publishing prices.

SaturnMoonie said...

Well the only times (and it's been rare) where I've paid that much has been when I've bought hardbacks. Otherwise I wouldn't pay that much for it...

...but I will support you and your self-publishing dreams and if I gotta pay 15 bucks for your book I will. :D

Crystal-Rain Love said...

I wuv you, Moonie! ( - :

Yeah, my print books with Imajinn will be around $11-$13 bcuz they're tradesize so I was hoping to be able to put out a cheaper print book to help build up a fan base in addition to those new readers I've gained through being published in e-book format. I guess if I want it published, I'll have to have it published at that amount.