Sunday, June 21, 2009

Cowboys, Vampires, and the Writing Plan

COWBOYS

I finished my submission to the Wayback, Texas series! Whoo-hoo! I'm still sorting through ideas for a title, but this was the first cowboy romance I've written so it's a bit of a milestone for me. I've always loved cowboys in romance novels, and was totally in love with Harry Connick, Jr's character in Hope Floats. Naturally I'd want to write a romance featuring a hunky cowboy of my own creation but ideas always escaped me, or I'd get an idea and it wouldn't really work out.
I discovered the Wayback series while scouring the submission guidelines at The Wild Rose Press's website and purchased the first book... then the second... then the third. I plowed through that series and absolutely loved it and the town created by the authors. I knew I had to be part of it and my characters came right to mind along with a great story. It came together pretty quickly, which I'm thankful for since TWRP will no longer take submissions for the series after September 1st. I hope they love mine as much as I do. If they don't, I don't know if I can take my hero & heroine out of Wayback to submit somewhere else. It really feels like they belong there.


VAMPIRES

When I write, I tend to try and read material in the same theme of what I'm writing so I can stay on track. So... since April I've mostly been reading cowboy themed romance and contemporaries with some suspense thrown in. I have a huge pile of vamp & other paranormal books just waiting for me to dig into. Now that I've finished writing my cowboy-themed romance I can get started. I have the new Anita Blake (Yay!) and some more of Gena Showalter's books. I love everything that woman writes, especially the LOTU and Atlantis series. I'm still debating whether I want to bother getting into the Twilight series. I'd love to jump back into writing LSAYD, a paranormal-chick-littish-hilarious story written in first person. I was really getting into it but then I saw the deadline for the Wayback submissions and changed course. Now it doesn't immediately fit into my writing plan.

THE WRITING PLAN

I wrote up a plan for how I would accomplish completing 3-4 books a year AND manage to stay on track with the deadlines I have for my Blood Revelation books which are already contracted. I gave myself through the end of March to finish Blood Revelation Book #3 which I did. I gave myself through the end of this month to complete the Wayback submission. It's done, and is being critiqued before final edits. According to the plan, July-November is to be spent writing Blood Revelation Book #4. This will be quite a challenge as it normally takes me about 9 months per BR book, and this particular one will be one of my most challenging. I'll be doing a lot of flashback in it, and the vamp is Spanish. Lived in Italy. In the 1800s. That's a lot of research, and I've never been a history buff. I was able to kind of skim over the details during flashbacks in the other books, but I can't do that this time as so much of her story needs to be told from that time period. I'd planned on telling her story last, and doing it as a prequel to the series, but it's not going to happen that way. This series has a habit of kicking my plans right out the window and now what would have been a prequel written during that time only is going to be a story spanning two different eras. Fun.

I truly love it, and adore this heroine, but by the time I'm done I'll be ready to write about cowboys again. ( -; Hopefully I'll keep to the plan, finish on time, and be able to complete LSAYD early next year.

No comments: