Sunday, October 4, 2009

Drawing David Cook

I used to sketch people all the time when I was a kid, but somewhere, sometime... I quit. It's a shame too because I was pretty decent at it. I remember being around twelve years old and drawing Christian Slater for a friend. It looked just like him.
I took out a sketch pad and pencil a while back and tried to draw a realistic portrait... It sucked. Bad.
So I broke out the "How To Draw Real People" book I'd given to my daughter forever ago and watched a bunch of Youtube videos on drawing people... I checked out the amazing Art by Aurelia (She is AWESOME!) website.

And I declared I would sketch a portrait of David Cook.

This was the outcome (in about 5 phases):

Photobucket

This was the basic outline. No shading yet. Nose & mouth just weren't right, and my brother pointed out there were some issues with the left eye that needed major fixing.


Photobucket

After the shading.


Photobucket

After work on the nose & mouth, and the clothes.


Photobucket

After adjusting eyes some more & working with the hair.


Photobucket

After deciding I was not as talented as I wish and it wasn't going to get much better.

All in all, I'm proud of myself. It's the best thing I've drawn in quite a while. And hey, it's my first in forever. With more practice, I can only get better. Sure can't get any worse... I hope.

No comments: