Friday, February 5, 2010

CHARITY

Today's blog post is dedicated to charity. Yesterday, a dream of mine was fulfilled. A book that I wrote exclusively for charity was released. Though I won't receive a dime for Moonlit Watcher, I'm just as--if not more--excited about its release as I am my other releases because the money raised from its sales will go to the American Heart Association. More money than I could afford to give to them myself.
I'd like to thank All Romance eBooks for this opportunity, and I hope this is the beginning of something huge. If they continue to do this campaign through the years, there just may be many more stories in the Moonlit series.


But AHA isn't the only charity out there in need of help, whether that help be monetary or comprised of your time and/or talents.
Do you have a homeless shelter near you with a food kitchen? They may need your help serving.
Does your child/grandchild/niece/etc.'s school need your help?
The local animal shelter may need blankets.

There's always a way to help, even if you don't have the funds to donate money.

Today I thought we should all highlight a charity or two, hopefully helping one another learn of new opportunities to give.

I'll start with:

Stand Up To Cancer - This is one of my favorite charities. I am always willing to give to any charity that seeks the cure for cancer or helps those diagnosed with this horrid disease. I lost my father to cancer in 2005 and now on his birthdays I can go to http://www.standup2cancer.org/custom/?c=profile&a=index&id=22956 and donate in his honor. I launched a star in his name and can add a birthday message each year to help me get through such a sad day.

American Heart Association - I give through Jump-Rope For Heart, something that is done through schools to not only raise money for AHA but to teach children about the importance of healthy activity in combatting heart disease. You can join ARe's team or just go here to see how much money is being raised with the release of the books in the 28 Days of Heart campaign:
http://bit.ly/6rEbdA

Libraries - Did you know the library will accept your gently used books? Done reading that romance novel? Take it on over to your local library. It saves them the cost of purchasing new books for their shelves, and sometimes they even sell those donated books to raise funds.

eBay - Did you know you can auction off your old stuff on eBay and designate a charity to receive the money earned?

And, of course, you can donate to aid in the Haiti relief fund through the Red Cross by texting HAITI to 90999. $10 will be charged to your cell bill, all of which is your donation.

iTunes - There are regularly downloads available for charity, from the American Idol songs which go to their charity, David Cook released a live performance of Permanent to benefit a cancer charity, and there are currently songs available to benefit Haiti.

iWon - Go to www.iwon.com and join the team challenge! Help your team rank in the top 3 each month and iWon will donate money to YOUR team's charity!

So... Anyone else care to share some charity ideas?

1 comment:

SaturnMoonie said...

I donate to the ASPCA (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals).

http://www.aspca.com

They rescue abandoned and mistreated animals and care for them and find new homes.

I wish I could adopt all of the dogs and cats, but alas I cannot, so I donate money to make sure they have enough funds for their food and any medical attention they may need. #CRLwin