Sunday, February 7, 2010

Whatcha Reading?







For today's blog I thought I'd share what I've been reading and ask for recommendations for my To Be Read pile.






I've been reading a lot of Joan Johnston and Linda Warren lately. Both ladies have wonderful, heartfelt stories featuring scorching hot cowboys, the kind of men you dream about: Rough, sexy and rugged, yet gentler than a lamb with children and the women they love.






My first Joan Johnston book was The Virgin Groom, which featured a virgin hero, a virgin by choice. That was a first for me in the romance genre, and I lurved that story. I immediately purchased more in the Hawk's Way series.






My first Linda Warren book was Once A Cowboy, which was a free read at All Romance eBooks. I loved it so much that I did something I rarely do and contacted the suthor directly through her website to praise the book. Imagine my surprise when she sent me two more books for free! How awesome is she? I read those two and immediately bought more. The really awesome thing about Ms/Mrs(?) Warren is that she doesn't write the same cookie cutter books often found in the romance genre. I love the issues she tackles in her books as well. Once a Cowboy features a hero who was switched at birth and how he deals with discovering this and coming to grips with the family who raised him & the family he was stolen from. Skylar's Outlaw had a wonderful hero, who is an ex-con and has to deal with living under that title.






I also must highly recommend the Calamity Jayne series by Kathleen Bacus. I just finished book 2 and can't wait to get the rest. These books literally make you LOL. Take one disaster prone blond, a crazy pair of old coots, a hot park ranger, a crazy family, and loads of trouble, then mix them all up and you have Calamity. Tressa Jayne (Calamity Jayne) Turner keeps finding herself mixed up in one big batch of trouble after another, all starting when she accidentally drives the wrong car home from work and finds a body in the trunk. Kathleen writes comedy better than anyone.






Speaking of comedy, I've got to get the rest of Virginia Brown's Harley Davidson series. I'm not sure if that's the series name but that's what I call it since the heroine is named Harley Davidson. It's another mystery/chick-lit that had me cracking up. One of the funniest parts in the book involves Harley knocking a man out with the penis that broke off of a statue. When asked what she hit the man with, she smirks and replies, "My dick." I don't care who you are, that's funny.









I just recently read Amber Leigh Williams's Bluest Heart and highly recommend it along with her previous novella in the Wayback series, Blackest Heart. Heck, I recommend the whole Wayback series, but Blackest Heart is probably my all-time favorite. It featured a silent hero. I don't know if I could pull off a silent hero like Williams did. I mean, the man showed more emotion in an expression than most heros do in five paragraphs of dialogue. Amazing.






I recently stepped into the science-fictiony romance genre with Wither by Yolanda Sfetsos. very cool. Did you know there were space cowboys? They're pretty hawt.






So... That's what I've been reading. As far as what's in my TBR pile, here's a few:






Intertwined by Gena Showalter



Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton



Salvaged by J.S. Marlo



Bridesmaid Blues by Lainey Bancroft



Odd Stuff by Virginia Nelson



Death, The Vamp, and His Brother by Lexxie Couper



One Dependable Man by Rita Thedford



Slow Heat by Jill Shalvis



Hot Stuff by Carly Phillips



Shattered by Joan Johnston



The rest of the Calamity Jayne series



The rest of the Harley Davidson series



The rest of Lilith Saintcrow's Watcher series



Bound By Shadows by Keri Arthur









So... What's on your list and what have you read lately?



6 comments:

SaturnMoonie said...

I have barely found the time to read these last couple of months! I'm sooo behind.

Currently I'm reading Friends In Deed by T.M Hunter. It's the sequel to his Aston West (space pirate, hehe) series. I was supposed to have finished it and reviewed it like 2 weeks ago...did I mention I'm behind?

After that I have to read a paranormal romance anthology that one of the authors, Heather Beck, wants me to review.

After THAT, there's this lil book called Moonlit Watcher. I forget who wrote it, and even though I have a good hundred books on my TBR pile from like as far back as a year ago...I must read this book b4 all the others. ;)

My TBR pile is too huge for me to list, so let's just pretend I listed it. (Oooh, aaaah)

How the hell do you have time to read, write, play cafe world, have kids, pets, and a man?

You and Lisa, I swear! Make me look lazier than I am.
#CRLwin

Crystal-Rain Love said...

I just finished Salvaged by J.S. Marlo. It was really good. I love heroines who kick butt.

Amber Leigh Williams said...

OMG, thank you so much for the touching review of my Wayback trilogy books! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. I can't wait to read your Wayback novella!

Penelope said...

Calamity Jane sounds like it's right up my alley...thanks for the recommendation!

Christle Gray said...

I read Moonlit Watcher over the weekend. (Which rocked, BTW)

If you like comedy and vampires, I highly recommend Katie Macalister's Dark Ones books. I just finished "Crouching Vampire, Hidden Fang" last week. HILARIOUS! She also has a couple dragon series. Also, very funny! She just put out a steampunk romance called "Steamed". I am reading that, now.

"Guardian Cowboy" will be on my TBR when it comes out, along with "Blood Curse". I have shelves full of books I haven't read, and a pocket drive with numerous e-books. I am never at a loss for something to read.

SaturnMoonie said...

I LOVE Katie MacAlister!!! All I've read are her dragon series (I wish I were Aisling Grey) but I have a whole butt load of her books on my TBR pile. :D