Friday, February 19, 2010

What's So Hot About Cowboys?



Hey, peoples. With the approach of Guardian Cowboy I'm trying to be more cowboy-centric with my posts ( I know. So hard to do, right?) so I thought we'd discuss cowboys today. Particularly, what makes them so hot. (The photo I chose to use is the cover of Linda Warren's Once A Cowboy. Great book. Highly recommend.)



It's gotta be more than the Stetsons, tight jeans, and boots, right? I mean, not just anyone can wear them and still earn the title of "cowboy." Trust me, I know. I've been to therodeo. Some guys really do bring shame to the Stetson... But anyway, I'm rambling off.

So... What makes cowboys so hot? Hell-o. They ride bulls and broncs. What's not hot about a man brave enough to get up on the back of such wild animals and ride them for eight seconds? I'd pee myself just being in the arena with a bull. They crack ribs, bruise just about everything that can be bruised, break all sorts of bones, and get better just to do it again. Some would argue that's evidence of stupidity but I consider it rather gutsy.

As for the cowboys in romance novels (a particular favorite genre of mine), they are perfection. Hard-working, well-built thanks to the hard work on their ranches, a little rough (hullo. They're cowboys) but as gentlemanly as they come when it comes right down to it because their mamas taught them good.

Yup. The clothes do not make the cowboy. They're just bonuses. Cowboys are born and bred, raised on the ranch and brought up with the right values. At least the ones in books.

What do you think it is about cowboys that make them so hot in the romance genre?

**************************************************************************

Don't forget to leave #CRLwin with your comment to be entered to win a copy of GuardianCowboy on 2/24

3 comments:

SaturnMoonie said...

"Hard-working, well-built thanks to the hard work on their ranches, a little rough (hullo. They're cowboys) but as gentlemanly as they come when it comes right down to it because their mamas taught them good."

EXACTLY!!! That's why I love em! They're pig-headed, stubborn, get on ur last nerve, but they're usually like that because they want to help the damsel in distress. And they are damn passionate.

#CRLwin.

Anne Carrole said...

I love cowboys for all the reasons cited, which is why I write about them. I particularly like the combination I so often find of hard-headness with a gentleman's manners. They can tick you off but they're always polite about it. :) And thanks for featuring Re-ride at the Rodeo, Crystal.

Crystal-Rain Love said...

No problem, Anne. Re-ride had one of my favorite heroines in it
( - ;