Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Are There No Writers Left In Hollywood?

Seriously. What is up with all the movie remakes? If not movie remakes, then TV shows turned into movies. These things were already done. The movies, most of them at least, can still be purchased on DVD. Why remake them?

WRITE SOMETHING NEW!

Geez, is there no more original thought left in the world? No ideas? Does anyone not notice that the majority of these remakes suck... pretty bad.

I can kind of understand taking a very obscure movie and redoing it but some movies just need to be left alone. It's been done. It was fine. Move along and go write something else. (My exception would be Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Johnny Depp version was a lot better).

It seems like every time I turn on the TV or get on the Internet I'm seeing news of another frigging remake. Barbarella is now in the works.

I think the one that really gets me is Clash of the Titans. That movie was awesome just the way it was. For that time, the special effects were great and the whole look and feel of it is just as awesome today. I can just look at stills and previews of the newer version and know they've taken something very vital away from that movie. I mean, that was Harry Hamlin's role. Anyone else playing the part just seems wrong... and the creatures in the newer version are all that computer animated/digital/whatever the hell it is - crap and it just isn't as good as the effects used in the first one. Not for this movie.

Harry Hamlin in the original with Medusa's head:

Photobucket

The new Medusa:

Photobucket

Hate the new Medusa. She's just missing... something. I don't know how to explain it, but this was definitely one movie that didn't need to be remade. The original is still good entertainment for today.

2 comments:

Meandi's corner said...

But I think the new Clash of the Titans has the man who is playing Spatacus, in the new series on Starz( I think) and who doesn't want to see more of him

Crystal-Rain Love said...

Meh. ( - ;