Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Elvis Lovin' Mamas...




When I wrote Guardian Cowboy I thought I was being pretty original. Presley's a cowboy born and raised in the small town of Wayback, Texas. His mother is obsessed with Elvis Presley (as if you couldn't tell by his name). He lives with his mom, in a sense. She has her own little house on his property. His twin brother was still-born. His dad's dead. I wanted him to be the sheriff of Wayback, but another author had already written in a sheriff to the fictional town created by a variety of The Wild Rose Press authors so I settled for making him an ex-bodyguard.




I discovered Linda Warren this past year when I scooped up her free read, Once A Cowboy, off allromanceebooks.com and devoured it. I loved it so much I dropped her a little note about it on her website and wonderful woman she is, she sent me two signed books. Pretty awesome, huh? Loved them too, so I bought Skylar's Outlaw (AWESOME!!!) and The Sheriff of Horseshoe, Texas. I just finished reading the latter.




Wyatt Carson is kind of a cowboy. Wears the boots & stetson.


He's the sheriff, which was the original plan for Presley.


His middle name is Presley.


His mother is obsessed with Elvis.


His older brother died very young.


Born and raised in a small town in Texas.


His dad's dead.


He lives with his mom.




Sound a little familiar? LOL! My eyes about bugged out of my head as soon as the character of his Elvis-crazy mama was introduced and I laughed out loud at his middle name. It goes to show you that when it comes to writing, you can never bet on your idea being original.


I'm actually kinda delighted. I mean, Linda Warren is one hell of a writer and now on my auto-buy list so the fact we thought so similarly is really cool. It makes me feel like I'm doing something right.




Oh, there's plenty of differences. Totally different stories and the heroines couldn't be more different, but it's just similar enough to be funny.




So... if you like cowboys with Elvis-crazy mamas please check out Linda Warren's The Sheriff of Horseshoe, Texas and my very own Guardian Cowboy.




Let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Shelley Munro said...

Isn't it great when you find an author you like and they have a backlist? I've read quite a few cowboy romances in the last six months. I'll have to check out Linda's books.

Crystal-Rain Love said...

And mine! ( - ;

Nah, seriously, you have to read Linda Warren.You won't be disappointed. Only twice ahve I enjoyed an author so much that I felt compelled to findtheir website and let them know. Ms. Warren was the first.

SaturnMoonie said...

LOL That's too cute!

Penelope said...

Dude!!!!!!! I loved, loved, loved your story. Presley is so sexy and romantic and protective...he is a great hero. And I really liked how Amber learned to trust again. This is a great story, and if I can find the time this week (ha ha!) I will write up a quickie review on my Penelope page. I'll let you know.

Thanks for a great read. (I just wish there had been a nice lovin' scene between Amber and Presley, too. Wah!)

Crystal-Rain Love said...

LOL! I knew some people would have that reaction, but I went with my heart on this one. I personally don't care to have the "love scenes" detail by detail when I'm reading and in this story I wanted the focus on the romance, especially given Amber's background I thought it better to focus on the love aspect, not the physical stuff. Plus, I want to let my mama read it since she's a huge Elvis fan and I don't want her reading any love scenes I write. LOL! Yes, I'm 31 years old and yes, I am the mother of 3 children, but it still gives me the heebie-jeebies imagining her reading my love scenes. Y'all don't know my mama. She'd fling holy water on me and command me to repent my evil, slutty ways. ( - ;
Heck, Presley's sexy enough we can just imagine that scene.... Ooh boy. ( - ;