Saturday, March 27, 2010

Love Scenes - To Show Or Not To Show

Lately I've been getting quite a few remarks about the heat level of the love scenes in my books. Either I've shown too much or not nearly enough. Here's the deal: Either direction I go, someone's not going to be satisfied so I go with my gut.

On a personal note, I don't care for love scenes. Never really have. In fact, I skip over them when I'm reading regardless how they're written. I love sexual tension in a novel, and as far as I'm concerned if it's done well enough you don't need the detailed love scene. Make the hero sexy enough and I'd rather see it all in my head anyway. I don't care to see it in print.

However, this is not the case for the majority of romance raeders, it seems. They want it all written out so I must write those scenes. Regardless of writing "what's hot" I will still try to stay true to what I feel when I'm putting my characters' stories into words. If a described love scene fits, I'll put it in and the heat level will come from the overall tone of the story.

If I have a pretty tame heroine who never swears and blushes at the sight of a naked male torso I'm not going to have her pole dancing and wearing leather chaps. It's just not going to happen. Nor am I going to have a couple barely say hi and then they're going at it like bunnies in springtime. I won't write sex just for the sake of writing sex.

Now, with that said, I'll talk briefly about a few of the comments I've been receiving. For those who think Guardian Cowboy is too tame and were upset there was no visual lovescene, I'm glad you thought Presley was sexy and wanted to see he and Amber together. I knew before the book even came out that I'd get remarks about the lack of visual love scene. Well, I strongly felt that given Amber's background a full-on detailed lovescene would detract from the pure love shared between the two. Amber doesn't trust easily, and she'd been abused horrifically. It was very important to me to focus on the ROMANCE between the two, regardless how hot Presley happened to be. I stand by my decision to keep this story "sweet".

For those who think I went too far with the Moonlit books, these books are about werewolves. The steamier love scenes made more sense to me. A person who has wolf in them and feels compelled to mate when the moon is full is going to be more animalistic.

And as for Blood Curse... The hotter heat level just fits. In some Blood Revelation books you won't see a love scene because the story doesn't call for it. In Blood Curse the main "danger" was Rialto and Aria's attraction to each other which became an addiction. The heat level fit so I went with it.

In short, if you like the "sweeter" love scenes that aren't so visual, read The Fire Still Burns and Guardian Cowboy.

If you like the visual and HOT love scenes, go with Blood Curse, and the Moonlit books.

Please understand,I am not upset with anyone who has made remarks about the heat levels of my books. I welcome everyone's opinion. I'm just stating that I will continue to write love scenes the way I feel they should be written, and helping direct people toward the particular stories they may enjoy best.

If ever there's a question as to what heat level a book is or why I chose that level, I encourage my readers to ask away.

Thanks & Happy Reading!

Rain

No comments: