Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tennessee: Hiking in the Smokies




Our last day was spent hiking in the Smokies. I arranged a hike with NOC.com before we arrived. Our guide was from A Walk In The Woods, a guide service in the Gatlinburg area.
Our hike took us to Grotto Falls, a waterfall that we were able to walk behind. It was beyond beautiful.

We went with a group but our guide gave us all individual attention and made the trip really fun by pointing out things along the way. She even had the kids eat ... oh crud, what was it? I think it was birch bark. It smells like toothpaste and is what people used to use to clean their teeth.

She also showed the kids how to find salamanders. They managed to catch about three of them but those suckers were too quick for me to get a good pic.

I know that's boring to some, but I totally love all that stuff.

Amazingly enough, I was able to do the hike despite my legs, back, and head still hurting from my fall off the horse. I'm glad. We got to see a really beautiful side of nature. It was like walking in a painting.

I can't wait to go back to Tennessee, one day to live. :)




No comments: